If your child is scheduled to have surgery, call child life to schedule a tour!
Your child’s hospitalization can be a very frightening experience for the entire family. Our certified child life specialists help you and your family deal with the stresses your child may encounter while hospitalized. These valued members of the Hemby healthcare team explain hospital procedures and treatments in age-appropriate language and restore your child’s sense of control. They use medical play, videos and other distractions, to make your child’s experience feel safer and more relaxing.
Your child life specialist can:
- Prepare children for and assist them during medical tests and procedures through education, medical play and coping skill development
- Supervise therapeutic and diversional play
- Support families during hospitalization
- Coordinate special events and holiday-themed parties
- Serve as a resource for questions about child development and parenting
Child life specialists are available throughout many treatment areas of our hospital, including:
View our calendar to see our many regularly scheduled events, such as pet therapy or fun lunches.
Would you and your child like a tour before pediatric surgery? Call 704-384-5134 for more information.