Call for more information on how you can join the Novant Health Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program.
The Novant Health Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program provides a comprehensive approach to rehabilitation in an outpatient setting.
What is pulmonary rehabilitation?
The Novant Health Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is a medically supervised, multidisciplinary program for individuals with chronic respiratory disease. The program is individually tailored and designed to optimize physical and social performance through exercise and education. Pulmonary rehabilitation programs are proven to enhance strength, endurance and breathing ability as well as reduce the symptoms of lung disease.
Our program is designed to help you:
- Reduce symptoms of pulmonary disease
- Improve breathing ability and reduce shortness of breath
Increase overall strength and exercise tolerance
- Increase participation in daily physical and social activities
- Learn about all aspects of pulmonary disease prevention
Improve overall quality of life and psychosocial well-being
- Provide the tools needed to control and relieve symptoms and decrease complications related to pulmonary disease
- Reduce overall medical costs, including physician office visits and hospital admissions
About our program
The Novant Health Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program provides individualized pulmonary reconditioning. Individual goals are based upon periodic assessments and evaluation by our pulmonary rehabilitation team. Program components include:
- Patient and family education, including a rotating lecture series
- Quality of life assessment and counseling
- Overall muscle reconditioning
- Cardiovascular endurance training
- Respiratory muscle reconditioning
- Psychosocial assessment and counseling
- Training in breathing techniques
- Oxygen and aerosol therapy
- Bronchial hygiene
- Stress management
- Nutritional counseling and education
- Smoking cessation education
- Access to community and internet resources
Who can benefit from the program?
Most individuals with chronic lung disease can benefit greatly from participation in pulmonary rehabilitation. Qualified participants include those with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema, sarcoidosis, bronchiectasis, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, chronic bronchitis, asthma, cystic fibrosis and nicotine addiction. Those who have had or who are planning to have lung volume reduction or lung transplant surgery may also benefit from the program.
Our pulmonary rehabilitation program is staffed with an interdisciplinary team of licensed and/or certified healthcare professionals, which includes:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist
- Registered Nurse Pulmonologists
- Clinical Social Worker
The pulmonary rehabilitation classes meet three times each week, and the educational lectures are held once a week. Your customized plan of care will determine how many classes you should attend weekly in order to achieve the best results. Classes are held at Novant Health Heart and Vascular Institute, located at 125 Baldwin Avenue. This state-of-the-art facility provides patients with access to a large indoor track, treadmills, cycle ergometers, arm ergometers, rowing machines, nusteps, elliptical trainers, weight machines and free weights.
Most insurance plans cover our program costs. Medicare now covers up to 30 sessions of pulmonary rehabilitation.
To Join Our Program
To join the Novant Health Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program, a referral is required from your pulmonologist or primary care physician. For more information about our services, contact us at 704-316-3709.