- For more information about the Chaplaincy Student Internship, call: 704-384-4176
- For more information about the Counseling Student Internship, call: 704-384-4167
The Chaplaincy Services Internship Program provides clinical experience in a hospital setting for self-directed seminary/divinity school or master's level students. This innovative program provides for cross-fertilization in creative and growth-producing ways.
The counseling internship within Chaplaincy Services at Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center provides a unique experience which shares a peer group with students in an internship/practicum in counseling.
More than 200 students have participated in the program over the past 25 years. Students participate in real-life case studies: loss and grief, ethical problems, spiritual issues and other challenges faced in pastoral care and counseling roles. The program allows students a unique opportunity to experience an interdisciplinary care team while accessing and building upon their own spiritual foundation.
Summer experiences are available. Individual supervision and/or group programs are a part of the summer program, but the weekly commitment and length of the program will be negotiated to fit individual school requirements. The director of chaplaincy services and the student will agree upon a weekly scheduled work time prior to the start of the internship.
- Bachelor's degree and
- Enrollment in an accredited seminar/divinity school or one of the following master's level programs: counseling, marriage and family therapy or social work.
Requirements for Interns
- Attend orientation and closing/evaluation meeting
- Participate in weekly group supervision sessions and individual supervision
- Concentrate in one or two areas of interest within the hospital
- Participate in hospital-wide overnight on-call
- Complete at least five verbatim reports and two taped clinical events
- Commit to a schedule that allows for required clinical hours
John Nance, PhD, LPC, NCC, ACS, LPC
Rev. Cathy Hasty, MDiv., ThM ACPE Supervisor, BCC, AAPC Diplomate, LPC
Individual supervision and group supervision sessions are mandatory. The scheduling of supervision times will be negotiated to suit individual and school requirements.