Order a heart healthy cookbook today!
The recipes in Novant Health's newest heart healthy cookbook are delicious, easy to prepare and, most importantly, great for your heart. Below are a few of the recipes from Seasons of the Heart
, one of Novant Health's heart healthy cookbooks. Print one out and try it tonight.
- 2 teaspoons Canola oil
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 3 tablespoons no-salt added tomato paste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons turkey bacon, cooked, crumbled
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, the dressing and tomato paste. Add chicken; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve over brown rice, if desired.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 240; Fat 6g; Protein 33g; Carbohydrates 12g; Dietary Fiber 2g; Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 470mg.
Tomato Basil Salad
- 4 tomatoes, 1/2" thick slices
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup light mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar salad dressing
Arrange tomatoes, onion and basil on serving platter; sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 70; Fat 2g; Protein 4g; Carbohydrates 7g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 410mg.
Brown Rice with Lemon and Shallots
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup brown rice, cooked
Warm oil in a medium size saucepan over medium heat then add the shallots and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice, parsley, sugar and pepper. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Add the rice and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until the broth is absorbed. Remove rice from heat. Fluff lightly with a fork and keep covered until serving time.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 60; Fat 1.5g; Protein 1g; Carbohydrates 11g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 60mg.
Creamy Potato Salad
- 2 pounds red potatoes with skin
- 1-1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons pickle relish
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 4 teaspoons mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 Omega-3 eggs, hardboiled, chopped
In a large covered saucepan, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 20-25 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and cool slightly. Peel and cube the potatoes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add celery, onion and pickle relish. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, mustard, salt substitute and celery seed. Pour over potatoes. Toss lightly to coat potatoes and add egg. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours before serving.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 100; Fat 3.5g; Protein 3g; Carbohydrates 15g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Cholesterol 25mg; Sodium 180mg.
Pineapple Angel Lush
- 2 small boxes of sugar-free vanilla pudding
- 20 ounces canned crushed pineapple in light syrup
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping
- 1 sugar-free angel food cake
- 10 medium strawberries, sliced
Mix dry pudding mix and pineapple with juice in medium bowl. Gently stir in whipped topping. Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers. Place bottom cake layer, cut side up, on serving plate. Spread 1 1/3 cups of the pudding mixture onto cake layer; cover with middle cake layer. Spread 1 cup of the pudding mixture onto middle cake layer; top with remaining cake layer. Spread with remaining pudding mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Garnish with sliced strawberries and chill/store in refrigerator.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 130; Fat 0g; Protein 2g; Carbohydrates 29g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 310mg.