For additional information on Novant Health Sexual Assault Services, contact us.
Those who have been victims of sexual violence deserve special care that respects the circumstances that have occurred. That’s why Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center was the first in the community to offer a dedicated sexual assault services program.
Our Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) team is comprised of registered nurses who have received specialized training in the care and treatment of sexual assault victims. In addition to providing compassionate care to survivors, our examiner collects forensic evidence for criminal prosecution and may be called as an expert witness in court cases.
Our sexual assault services include:
- A medical screening in the emergency department
- A private setting in the hospital for evidence collection
- Forensic evidence gathered by certified Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners
- Support for both the victim and their family members, provided by trained advocates
- Follow-up counseling services, including crisis intervention, support groups and counseling for individuals, couples or families
- Criminal justice support and advocacy
- Follow-up healthcare referrals
In addition, our forensic nurses
work collaboratively with a Sexual Assault Response Team, whose members include:
- Law enforcement
- Rape crisis companions
- Hospital social workers
- The district attorney’s office