Novant Health has improved the quality of life in the Charlotte community for over a century by offering compassionate patient care, along with the latest medical innovations and knowledge.
Outline of Novant Health monumental events
Just as Charlotte has grown into a major metropolitan U.S. city, Charlotte's oldest hospital expanded from its quarters in a cramped downtown hotel into a major regional healthcare institution. Repeatedly named Charlotte's most preferred hospital, today Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center is the flagship hospital of Novant Health in the Charlotte area.*
The Early Years
Presbyterian Medical Center opened in 1903 as a 20-bed hospital on North Church Street, located in now uptown Charlotte. Later, the hospital moved to the Arlington Hotel on West Trade Street and offered 45 beds. Below the hospital on the first floor were the N.C. Medical College, a barbershop, fruit stand and the "Last Chance" saloon.
Another Presbyterian Medical Center institution established in 1903 was the School of Nursing with its first class of three young women. Students staffed the hospital during 12-hour shifts, plus cleaned and cooked - all for $5 per month.
In 1917 a large fundraising effort began to support the hospital's growth, but a year later funds and materials were in short supply due to World War I.
In 1918 Elizabeth College merged with a school in Virginia, and Presbyterian Medical Center used the money it had raised to buy the 20-acre campus located just outside of the city limits at 200 Hawthorne Lane. This new facility more than doubled its size, from 50 to 100 beds, making it Charlotte's largest hospital. People from all over the Carolinas streamed to Presbyterian Medical Center for medical care.
In the late 1930s and early 1940s, Charlotte's booming population was causing a shortage of hospital beds, and nearly all of the 110 beds were always filled. A new seven-story building opened in front of the old Elizabeth College building. The new hospital added operating and recovery rooms, an obstetrics area, children's wards and charity facilities
The 1960s and 1970s
During the next three decades, Presbyterian Medical Center embarked on eight major building projects and tripled in size from 188 beds in 1940 to 502 beds in 1972. The hospital led the way in Charlotte with the first intensive care unit, the first outpatient surgery unit and the first ambulant care unit.
In the mid-1960s, Presbyterian Medical Center was spurred on by federal legislation and changed its admissions policy to accept black patients.
The 1970s brought a new Diagnostic and Treatment Center for more outpatient treatment and a new 30-bed emergency room for around-the-clock medical coverage.
In 1980, the Elizabeth College building was demolished and a new 119-bed patient tower opened, bringing the total number of beds to 554.
Presbyterian Medical Center's Child Development Center also opened in 1980 and was one of the pioneers in offering on-site childcare to employees.
The Presbyterian Healthcare Foundation
was formed in 1980 as the hospital's fundraising arm. One of its first successes resulted in a School of Nursing building designed and built for the school.
In 1983, a new corporate structure based on a holding company concept was formed to reflect the changes in the healthcare industry. Called Presbyterian Health Services Corp., its purpose was to serve as the parent organization for all of the hospital's organizations and corporations except the Foundation.
One of the first projects under the new corporate structure was the opening of an immediate care center in Matthews, about 10 miles southeast of Presbyterian Medical Center. It was the first venture away from the main Charlotte campus.
In the mid-1980s, Presbyterian Medical Center met the continuing demand for outpatient surgery with the opening of SameDay Surgery Center across from the main hospital and opened the Belk Heart Center, an intensive care nursery and a psychiatric unit.
1994 marked the opening of Novant Health Matthews Medical Center
, a 102-bed community hospital offering emergency care, inpatient and outpatient services and a family maternity center.
In the 1990s, Novant Health Hemby Children's Hospital
, a hospital-within-a-hospital, opened to meet the needs of children and families. It provides family-centered care and promotes play to encourage faster healing.
In 1996, Presbyterian Medical Center continued its tradition of being a regional and statewide leader in providing cancer services and hospice care by opening a new Cancer Center
. Comprehensive services include radiation oncology, clinical research, inpatient oncology and a stem cell transplant unit.
In 1997, Presbyterian Healthcare System and Carolinas Medicorp Inc. of Winston-Salem announced a merger to form a new healthcare company, Novant Health
. Presbyterian Healthcare became the Southern Piedmont Region of Novant Health. The two nonprofit companies serve an area of more than 3.4 million people in North Carolina, southern Virginia and northern South Carolina.
A year later in 1998, Novant Health acquired full ownership of Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital
, one of six in the nation devoted solely to the diagnosis, care and treatment of injuries and diseases of the bones and joints.
1999 marked the opening of Novant Health Cancer Center
, a unique community facility offering counseling and educational support for cancer patients and their families.
Novant Health expanded its services in the Lake Norman area by opening NorthPoint Surgery Center in 2000. The Presbyterian NorthPoint building also houses physician offices and outpatient services such as rehabilitation services and mammography screening.
In early 2001, Presbyterian Medical Center formed the Novant Health Heart & Vascular Institute
, which combined the leading-edge cardiac services of the Belk Heart Center with the hospital's neurovascular services. The institute continues to offer complete prevention, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation services, including advanced cardiovascular research studies. Physicians from multiple specialties, including cardiology, cardiothoracic and vascular surgery, interventional radiology and primary care worked together to develop the Institute.
Later that year, the Presbyterian Center for Preventive Cardiology opened. The center, now called Novant Health Heart & Vascular Institute
, offers a comprehensive cardiovascular disease management program that helps patients prevent and control the development of heart disease, including risk factor modification related to diet, exercise, smoking cessation, stress reduction and medication to lower cholesterol.
Along with its mission of improving the health of communities, one person at a time, Novant Health takes pride in its advanced technology. One example of exceptional success in our Novant Health Women's Center
occurred in May 2001. A baby who weighed only 10.4 ounces at birth went home from Presbyterian Medical Center after nearly 11 months of neonatal care. She was one of the smallest babies in the world to survive such a low birth weight.
In 2002, the state gave Presbyterian Medical Center the green light for a new Women's Center and added 14 more neonatal beds to be part of the new Center slated for completion in 2004.
In May 2002, the much-anticipated approval of Presbyterian Medical Center's request to build a hospital in Huntersville finally became a reality. After more than four years of filings, re-filings and appeals, a settlement was reached with the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services, and Presbyterian Medical Center was awarded a Certificate of Need to build Novant Health Huntersville Medical Center.
In 2003, Presbyterian Medical Center celebrated its 100th anniversary of providing care to the residents of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg region. The year was marked with activities for employees, a community educational series and a foundation gala. The highlight of the year was the Presbyterian Family Festival on Hawthorne Lane. This celebration was Presbyterian Medical Center's gift to the community as a way of saying thank you for the past 100 years. We look forward to serving you for the next century.
In September 2004, the new Novant Health Women's Center
welcomed its first patient. The new center added nearly 118,000 square feet of new construction and 113,000 square feet of renovated existing space, including 16 birthing suites with Jacuzzis, 35 postpartum suites and 14 high-risk antepartum suites. The center also includes a lobby with retail space for services unique to women and large classrooms for education. Renovations to existing units included high-tech improvements, more spacious labor-delivery-postpartum rooms, surgery rooms and an expanded Novant Health Hemby Intensive Care Nursery
Huntersville Medical Center
opened in October 2004. The 50-bed, $55.7 million facility has a total of 165,000 square feet. Services include an emergency department, five operating rooms, 36 medical-surgical beds, four intensive care unit beds, eight labor-delivery-postpartum beds and two nursery beds.
In 2008, The American Nurses Credentialing Center honored Presbyterian Medical Center, Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital, Matthews Medical Center, and Huntersville Medical Center with the prestigious Magnet designation
. As the highest honor in nursing, only five percent of hospiatls natinowide have earned Magnet designation for excellence in nursing care. For nurses and clinicians, Magnet designation is the gold standard of care and represents and environment of autonomy, professional advancement, teamwork and collaboration among physicians, nurses and other clinicians. For patients and families, Magnet designation signifies high quality in care.
In April 2011, Presbyterian Medical Center completed a four-story vertical expansion over the existing NOvant Health Cancer Center which included new patient care areas for Novant Health Cancer Center
, Novant Health Stroke and Neurosciences Center
and Novant Health Heart & Vascular Institute
. The expansion also features a state-of-the-art hospital incident command center, public safety and switchboard operations and corporate education classrooms.
In September 2011, Presbyterian Medical Center opened the new G-wing which features new operating rooms and an expanded and renovated children's emergency department.
In April 2012, Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital
received state approval to build a replacement facility at the corner of 5th Street and Caswell Road, adjacent to Presbyterian Medical Center’s F-wing. Construction is expected to be completed in 2015. The new orthopaedic hospital will have 64 acute care beds, 16 transitional care beds for skilled nursing care, 12 dedicated observation beds in a Universal Care Center and 10 operating rooms with the ability to easily expand to 12.
* Based on National Research Corporation Survey, 1995 - 2000 c.